Monday, September 24, 2012

Quick Poll for Contests: Pinterest?

Hi all! I'm currently working on a lot of stuff behind the scenes--organizing some new events, writing a new book, designing new swag, and planning out the contests for the rest of the year. And if you all don't mind, I'd love to pick your brains about some upcoming contests.

I've already got something big planned for November and December, but I'm thinking of doing another contest, probably running a week or two before and after SHADES OF EARTH launches. I like to spread out prizes and ways to win those prizes--for November, there's going to be a "do something to win a prize" and for December, there's going to be a "simple entry" prize where people can just sign up to win. But for January, I was thinking of making it a combo of both--you can enter just by clicking a button, but you can also get more entries if you do a little something extra.

Not to belabor the point, but I'm considering using Pinterest as one way to enter the contest I'm planning in January. And while I've seen it used to great effect by other authors (I'm looking at you, Jessica Khoury!) I'm curious to know if the people who read my blog and want to enter my contest are interested in using this platform? As always, I'd have Pinterest as an option--there would always be an alternative way to enter.

Which leads me to the poll. What do you think? Pinterest: yay or nay? And also--please let me know in the comments of some other ways authors are using Pinterest, or ways you wish authors would use Pinterest--I'd love to pick more brains for ideas!

(And if you're already on Pinterest, you can find me here. Book-related, I've got two AtU boards and a story board for the current project I'm working on.)

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't mind at all when contests use Pinterest as an entry or extra entry. I have an account and use it sometimes, but I'm not obsessive about it.

One thing that does drive me crazy is when contest require Facebook and/or Twitter to enter. Because I don't have either, and don't plan on having them. {I realize I'm one of the approx. five people in the US who are Facebook-free, but we shouldn't be overlooked. :) }

barmybex said...

I'm not even sure what Pinterest is. I've had a brief look but I'm even more confused. I only heard of it for the first time last week.
Wouldn't like it in a competition as it would wipe out a whole form of entry for me, making it harder to win.
But that's just me, I know I'm probably in the majority.
I'll just have to enter any way I can.

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's up to you, but I'm not on Pinterest or Twitter. I work full-time, have a family, have a busy blog, and am trying to write, so I just don't have time for more social networking. And I only enter the simple contests because I don't have time for ones that want me to write something, take a picture, etc. It's not that I'm less of a fan. And I'm sure other people are like me.

dellgirl said...

What an interesting idea! I say, "Go for it!" It should be fun and, your loyal followers/readers will always be there for you...no matter how you choose to do it.

Way to go, Beth!

S. J. Pajonas (spajonas) said...

I think, in general, it's best not to rely on too many third party vendors for contests. There are the standards for most people: Google, email, Twitter, and Facebook. And there are still some people who won't do most of those. I used to have a Pinterest account but deleted it during their Terms of Service scandal a year ago. I would imagine many other people did as well.

It will all depend on the type of content you're asking for on Pinterest. What if people use copyrighted images? Pinterest will have the right to pull them down. Pinterest also makes it easy to pin and re-pin items posted by other people. How will you authenticate what others have posted? These will all be questions you'll have to work out, I suppose :) Lots to consider!

Karen said...

I love using Pinterest :D But I'm not really sure I understand how you would use it for a contest entry?