Monday, December 21, 2009

Music Monday My Thank You Speech

Do you know how hard it is to find a music video by a band that existed before music videos? Darn hard, that's how. Still, when I started writing my Music Monday Thank You post, I knew the perfect song to go with the post. So, here's your music video thing.



I get by with a little help from my friends...
  • Thank you, Robyn, for helping me develop the story as I wrote it. I know I had an easier time of revisions because I wrote the first draft with your comments and critiques to guide me.
  • Thank you, Tricia, for being one of the very first people to read this blog, and for always, without fail, saying the things that gave me confidence as well as pushed me to be better.
  • Thank you, Heather, for offering to be my crit buddy, giving me the chance to read your work, and for giving me meticulous, spot-on critiques that made me want to bang my head into the wall because you were always right (and I mean that in a good way).
  • Thank you, Christy, for being willing to drop everything to help a friend, for reading my work even though I was always slower with yours and I always seemed to dump it on you at the most inconvenient times!
  • Thank you, Chris, for helping me to cut my excessive words and focus on the story. I cannot see the forest for the trees without you!
  • Thank you, Erin, for never letting me think negatively, and for being brutally honest. I enjoy being a masochist in your presence.
  • Thank you, Elana, for letting me spill my crazy on you all last week!
  • Thank you, Mom and Poppa, even though you probably won't read this because you think blogs are weird and have no idea why I would ever write anything personal on the web we didn't raise you like that you be careful now are you still eating all your vegetables it wouldn't kill you to wash those dishes with hotter water i don't think that car is safe you better go pump some more air in those tires and put on a sweater it's cold, oh, and we love you. I love you, too.
  • Thank you, husband, for buying me flowers when the writing goes bad, and buying me more when I sign with an agent.
  • ...and thank you, dear blog readers, for making me smile every time I see your comments. A writer just wants her words read, after all.
Writing is a solitary act. It has to be. But that doesn't mean the writer is solitary, and I know I, personally, am better when I get by with a little (a lot of) help from my friends.


So, who would you like to thank for all the support? Go show 'em you care--either here, or on your own blog! Bet you make someone smile.

14 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

So many to thank! First and foremost, Becca Puglisi who kept me on the writer's path with her encouragement and belief in me. My agent Jill Corcoran, who works like a crazywoman to make sure THOSE ON HIGH know about my work. My family, who get my heavy doses of weird, my Musers who come back day after day to read my ramblings and my crit partners who slap my writing around as needed. Finally, all the great, wonderful blogger friends who have made this journey so much richer.

And zombies. Together we will one day rule the world. Or at least Canada.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

What a lovely post. So good to see especially this time of year. I still say congratulations!!! Many times over!! It's a big accomplishment. I look forward to seeing your progress to publication in the new year.

storyqueen said...

Dear God, Beth...do we have the same parents????

Congratulations again!

Shelley

The Screaming Guppy said...

Aww thanks Beth. I feel like I did so little to help, but I'm really glad it made a difference for you!

You can be a masochist anytime with me! /sniff

:)

Go get em. Can't wait to buy a copy from B&N.

Unknown said...

Angela: Funny thing--my husband has a Z-Day plan that involves going to Canada. I wonder what he'd say if he knew that you're planning on taking over Canada with zombies?!

Carolina: Thank you! I thought this was a good time of year to post it, too :) (and thanks for the congrats! I'm still on cloud 9!)

Unknown said...

Storyqueen: Maybe!! :)

Erin: Thanks again! :)

Heather Zundel said...

It's easy when you are such a good friend to begin with.

Heather Zundel said...

P.S Today's Monday Muse was inspired by you. :)

christine M said...

Beth, first I want to say "you're welcome." And a thank you right back at you. You have given me invaluable feedback on my WIP.

Elana Johnson said...

There's so many people to thank, it's impossible. I just try to remember to do it each day.

And I like crazy. A lot. :)

Unknown said...

Aw! *huggles*

PJ Hoover said...

You are so welcome, Beth, and thank you for thinking of me! you and your blog have always rocked! I'm so glad we found each other.

Christina Farley said...

Beth! I've been away from internet with crazy unpacking as you know. But thank YOU. You always push me to be a better writer. Hugs!

kanishk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.