Friday, May 1, 2009

Boys' Night Out

Last night, the husband approached me with a sheepish, innocent sort of look that made me know instantly that something was up.

He wants to do a boys' night out.

In our house.

Tonight.

The Husband: We'll stay in the living room and the kitchen, and we promise not to break anything (like they did last time), and we'll clean up, and we'll just stay up all night playing poker and video games, and you can just pretend like we're not there, and you don't mind, do you?

Me: *martyr-like sigh*

I'm not going to tell him that I'm thrilled to have the chance to have a reason to lock myself in my room all night long and not venture out. The guys wouldn't care if I came out--heck, they'd probably offer me a hand in poker--but I'm cackling and tapping my fingers like an evil over-lord with the thought of a full night of writing, by myself, with no disturbances (unless I hear the sound of breaking glass...again).

I'm so not telling the husband that.

After all, if I act pitiful enough, I'll probably get dinner and movie out this, too. ;)

14 comments:

Erin said...

Smart woman! Oh, the headache (and joys!) of being an "over-lord." ;)

Lauren said...

This made me laugh so hard. My friend went through the same thing last weekend when her hubby hosted a poker game. I offered to keep her company (since my hubby would be one of the boys invading her house), but she told me that she was looking forward to an excuse to do nothing AND the thankfulness afterwards. Maybe I should try the same sometime :)

Good luck with the invasion of the boys and good luck getting a lot of writing in!

Danyelle L. said...

*snicker*

Some things are just better left unsaid. ;-)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Ohhh, boys nights are great for writing! Have a great, productive time. :D

Keri Mikulski said...

Enjoy your uninterrupted writing time!! :)

Joyce Wolfley said...

I bet you'll get dessert out of it too! :)

Linda Kage said...

Sigh. There's nothing better than making the husband feel guilty for leaving you alone when all you want is some solitude with your books. I love it!

Davin Malasarn said...

Wonderful! I hope you get some good writing done...and that your house is okay afterwards. :P Spills are always my biggest worry when I throw a party: beer, dip, pizza, gravity.

PJ Hoover said...

Totally with you on this one. I'd use it to get in a long writing night! And then I'd also call in for payback.

Jennifer Shirk said...

You lucky lucky girl! :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Man, you're going to get a lot of words on the page. I haven't been sleeping well, so I'm gonna snooze and write most of the day tomorrow!

You are going to SO get payback! Dinner, movie, and anything else you can think of! Oh yeah! :)

Bowman said...

I want a boys night out, but most of my friends are gone. Sad.

Heather Zundel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Zundel said...

Oooh, you clever thing. Good luck writing. May inspiration flow from those fingers. I'm so excited for you. :D