Monday, June 2, 2008

Letting Your Characters Decide

I've recently gotten to one of those turning points in my novel, and, I've got to say, I'm very disappointed in my character. She didn't do what I would have done. She didn't do what I wanted her to do--in fact, she did everything wrong.

Which is great.

When you get to the point in your writing where you know, logically, what your characters would do in the situation, especially when it's the opposite of what you'd do, then you know your writing is working, that your characters are clear, and that you've established a strong scene.

Which doesn't mean I still can't disagree with her!

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I had my MC do something in my latest first draft and I keep thinking about it. I don't want him to have done it. But maybe that makes it all the better. Unless it makes him unlikeable - which is not what I'm going for.
Today's thought - I'll change it.
OK, did this have anything to do with your post? I think so :)

Unknown said...

There have been times when my characters do things that I wouldn't do and that makes them unlikeable. I'm a bit brash--if I up that with my character and make her more brash, then she just becomes an evil person no one likes. I think you have to balance characters with the actions and their likeability--a good point--but still maintain their individuality.

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

HOORAY! I'm glad your characters are finally sticking up for themselves and doing their own thing.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'm just glad I'm over the "hump"!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I think it's great. Congrats!